About the Job
The Project Accounting Manager is an important position in Nexant’s F&A department and will be responsible for managing the day to day activities of the company’s worldwide Project Accounting group. This group handles all contract accounting and billing-related activities including project set-up, project invoicing, revenue recognition, and monthly revenue close. The position reports to the Controller and is based in San Francisco.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide leadership and supervision to the project accounting group to ensure project revenues and accounts receivables are recorded in accordance with Nexant’s procedures and US GAAP including revenue recognition ASC 606
• Day-to-day activities include supervising a team of 6-8 project accountants to ensure timely and accurate project set-up and invoicing. Monitor unbilled and billed AR balances to stay on target with the company’s DSO goal. Responsible for various operational project accounting tasks such as invoicing review and posting
• In charge of month and year end close activities for revenue and AR including detailed project revenue review; identification and problem solving of any revenue or system related issues so the monthly close schedule is followed. Reconcile revenue, AR, and unbilled AR sub-ledgers to General Ledger at month end
• Assist in Financial Audit preparation, execution, and conclusion. Assist in Federal Governmental audit preparation and support when needed
• Prepare financial reports and ad hoc revenue research and analysis to Finance & Executive management as requested
• Act as a liaison between the Project Accounting group and the Business Units with respect to contract or project accounting process issues. Serve as a business advisor for the Business Units on finance related contract questions
• Provide leadership and supervision to direct reports. Align individual project accountant’s goals with that of department and company. Manage project accountants’ performance to prepare for staff growth and development. Lead staff meetings and ad hoc workgroups as needed
• Continuously seek to improve the project accounting systems, tools & procedures to enhance and improve the group’s overall effectiveness
• Ability to proactively identify and mitigate areas of financial risk
• Other duties as assigned.
• 10+ years of related experience, preferably at least 4 years with Project Accounting
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or good understanding of accounting acquired from work experience
• 3-5+ years of experience with supervising professionals, preferably Project Accountants
• Basic knowledge of contract accounting revenue recognition Experience with US Federal Governmental contracts a big plus
• Hands-on experience with a major ERP system a must
• Experience with Oracle a plus
• Excellent Excel skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with all levels of professionals
• Interest in system and process improvement tasks
• Detail oriented and able to meet deadlines
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy future.
Nexant is a premier provider of technology enabled solutions to the Utility and Energy Industry focused on the next generation intelligent grid, distributed energy resources, and the digital customer experience. Operating from 20 offices around the world, the company's team of industry professionals has completed more than 5,000 engagements in over 70 countries. Nexant's clients include over 200 utility and software services customers. We work with over 300 chemical and petroleum majors, financial institutions, and Fortune 500 companies. Find out more at www.nexant.com.
Nexant supports clients through the following business units:
• Utility Software and Services: We deliver software-enabled strategy, consulting, and implementation services. Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications including iEnergy®, Grid360™, and iHedge®. Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings; ensure cost-effective program design, implementation, management,and evaluation; and promote customer engagement.
• Energy & Chemicals Advisory: We offer consulting services, subscriptions, and training. E&CA provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, and market and price forecasting.
• Government Services: We assist developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity. We have worked in countries such as Kenya, Myanmar, India, Ethiopia, and many others.
Diversity & Sustainability at Nexant
At Nexant, diversity, equality, and inclusion matter. We have made a firm commitment to address diversity in every aspect of our business operations. We recognize that to be successful, it is vital to celebrate our differences, provide fair opportunity, and learn from one another.
The management of energy, water and other vital resources is in a pivotal moment in history. We believe we have an opportunity to empower sustainable activities as a business and as individuals.This belief is infused in our relationships with employees, clients, our supply chain, and the environment. We are proud of our sustainability achievements as a company and how our business aligns with the goal of a resourceful, responsible, and sustainable world. Nexant has been recording, reporting, and offsetting our North American office carbon emissions with The Climate Registry since 2008. Nexant is a member of EUISSCA, an alliance of US electric utilities and their suppliers that was formed to promote a robust and sustainable electric utility industry supply chain.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.