Senior Distribution Planning and Analysis Engineer (Engineer III)
About the Job
Nexant is looking for a Senior Distribution Planning and Analysis Engineer who will lead distribution-related consulting services offered to our utility and project developer clients. The Senior Distribution Planning and Analysis Engineer should also have prior experience in distribution system engineering and operations, as well as interconnecting distributed energy resources (DERs) such as distributed PV and energy storage to the distribution system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strong technical understanding of planning and operations of distribution systems, as well as power industry fundamentals and practices
- Experience in distribution planning, engineering, operations and capital budgeting
- Experience using distribution modeling and simulation software such as CYME, ETAP, WindMil, ArcGIS for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit and other calculations
- Experience with development and use of distribution reliability performance metrics (SAIDI, SAIFI, etc.)
- Experience with interconnecting Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) such as distributed PV and energy storage and performing hosting capacity studies
- Experience with the high-level design of electrical systems associated with DERs and micro grids, including developing one-line diagrams and high-level cost estimates.
- Knowledge of technical characteristics of DERs such as battery storage, rooftop PV solar, EVSE, smart inverters and micro grids
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards related to DERs such as IEEE 1547
- Knowledge and experience with reliability and resiliency improvement programs is a plus
- Knowledge of transmission planning and analysis is a plus
- Other duties as assigned.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy future.
Nexant is a premier provider of technology enabled solutions to the Utility and Energy Industry focused on the next generation intelligent grid, distributed energy resources, and the digital customer experience. Operating from 20 offices around the world, the company's team of industry professionals has completed more than 5,000 engagements in over 70 countries. Nexant's clients include over 200 utility and software services customers. We work with over 300 chemical and petroleum majors, financial institutions, and Fortune 500 companies. Find out more at www.nexant.com.
Nexant supports clients through the following business units:
• Utility Software and Services: We deliver software-enabled strategy, consulting, and implementation services. Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications including iEnergy®, Grid360™, and iHedge®. Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings; ensure cost-effective program design, implementation, management,and evaluation; and promote customer engagement.
• Energy & Chemicals Advisory: We offer consulting services, subscriptions, and training. E&CA provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, and market and price forecasting.
• Government Services: We assist developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity. We have worked in countries such as Kenya, Myanmar, India, Ethiopia, and many others.
Diversity & Sustainability at Nexant
At Nexant, diversity, equality, and inclusion matter. We have made a firm commitment to address diversity in every aspect of our business operations. We recognize that to be successful, it is vital to celebrate our differences, provide fair opportunity, and learn from one another.
The management of energy, water and other vital resources is in a pivotal moment in history. We believe we have an opportunity to empower sustainable activities as a business and as individuals.This belief is infused in our relationships with employees, clients, our supply chain, and the environment. We are proud of our sustainability achievements as a company and how our business aligns with the goal of a resourceful, responsible, and sustainable world. Nexant has been recording, reporting, and offsetting our North American office carbon emissions with The Climate Registry since 2008. Nexant is a member of EUISSCA, an alliance of US electric utilities and their suppliers that was formed to promote a robust and sustainable electric utility industry supply chain.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Bachelor or Advanced Degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience in electric utility distribution planning, engineering and operations.
- Registration as Professional Electrical Engineer is a plus.
- Utility experience is a plus
- Must be able to travel locally, nationally or internationally up to approximately 10% of the time.
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.